Bathroom Repair can be the easiest and cheapest of all home improvement projects to tackle. While it’s important to first have a realistic budget in mind when you start planning, the truth is that most small and modest bathroom remodels are actually quite cost-effective. The trick is to make sure you choose fixtures and supplies that will look great and work well. Here are some tips to help you get started on a great bathroom remodel without burning a hole in your pocket.
Most small bathroom remodeling costs start relatively low because you’ll be able to buy the necessary materials at a local retailer or through an online specialty store. You’ll probably want to set aside a certain amount for fixtures, especially if you’re targeting a more classic design. While you won’t find the very best prices on brand-name goods, you should be able to find moderately priced items at many different retailers. Once you’ve selected a few basic pieces, you can then start looking for deals on extras such as shower curtains, soap dispensers, and toilet tissue holders.
In general, the bigger your bathroom, the more expensive your fixtures will be. This is especially true if you want to replace existing units. Fortunately, replacing showerheads and bathtubs is fairly easy. However, you should plan on spending a bit more on custom-made fixtures if you want the look and functionality of a completely custom bathroom. Here are a few ways to keep your bathroom remodel costs low:
– If your plumbing requires repairs, take care of those first. Then, clean out your fixtures. Chances are, your previous homeowner left the clogged pipes for a reason, so getting rid of the mess will be a good way to increase your bathroom remodel budget. Also, you’ll save yourself a lot of time and energy by doing the work yourself. For example, you can resolve most plumbing issues by simply running some water through a hose.
– When you’re ready to buy fixtures, compare prices at several local retailers. It’s often best to shop around since you’ll end up with the best deal if you take your time and shop around. The same is true when it comes to shower fixtures and other bathroom items. Compare quotes from several stores to see what the average bathroom remodel run anywhere costs. That number is a good way to figure out what you should spend on your project.
– You may have enough money saved up to perform the bathroom cost estimate on your own. But that doesn’t mean it’s a wise idea. While you can probably get an idea of what the job will cost without the actual repair or installation done, having the actual work done will cost more. The reason is simple: contractors charge per item they install. A simple shower stall, for instance, will cost less than a walk-in shower.
– If plumbing costs aren’t part of your bathroom renovation plan, there are plenty of ways to estimate your plumbing costs. A good way to compare quotes is to search online for “plumbing costs” or “bathroom renovation cost estimates.” Most sites will allow you to provide accurate quantities for items such as toilets and tubs. You can also find sites that will allow you to provide a photograph of your bathroom so that the site can give you a good estimate.
– Even if you don’t have the cash to pay for all of the fixtures and remodelers you want, you can still reduce the cost of the project. If you have the funds to pay for a contractor, he may be willing to work with you. And if you can’t afford the full installation price, there are plenty of ways to reduce the cost of the project. Simple things, such as scheduling a weekly or bi-weekly plumbing maintenance service, will help you save money on remodels.